Owners frequently prefer wooden dog houses due to their visual appeal. While cedar dog houses are attractive, they have some advantages and disadvantages that pet owners should be aware of.
Many of the pros of a cedar dog house are-
Cedar is a natural flea, tick, and mosquito repellent. This will protect your outdoor dog from the infections that these bugs bring. Many other dog houses, mainly plastic dog houses, do not endure as long as cedar dog houses. Cedar is not only resistant to heat and cold, but it is also less prone to decay and mold. You won’t even have to think about painting the house.
While its cons are-
Some dogs are allergic to cedar. Not only can the oils cause skin allergies, but they can also induce respiratory infections in rare situations. This can be made even more difficult if your dog is a chewer and chews on his dog’s home. Additionally, owners should be aware that cedar can be treated. If you’re starting from scratch, you’ll want to make sure you get untreated wood.
But there are several alternatives for dogs who cannot use cedar dog houses. Plastic, metal, or even fiberglass dog houses can be used to house dogs who are allergic to cedar. Other types of wood are also used to construct homes. Some dog owners keep their dogs in backyard kennels with tarps to keep the rain out, but these shelters provide little protection from the weather. Furthermore, any of these options may have its own set of problems. Metal dog houses can be harmful during thunderstorms, while fiberglass dog houses are pricey. Exposure to the outdoors will cause plastic homes to fade and break.
So keeping in mind of all the dog owners who like cedar houses, here is our list of large cedar dog houses-
- Pets Imperial Insulated Wooden Dog House
This house measures 3ft 8″ (W) x 2ft 5″ (D) x 2ft 7″ (H) on the outside and 3ft 3″ (W) x 2ft 1″ (D) x 2 ft 3″ (H) on the inside (H). It can accommodate dogs weighing up to 154 pounds thanks to its two support rails and works well for large dogs such as the Pyrenees.
- There are three layers of insulation: 0.47 inches of wood, 0.51 inches of Styrofoam, and 0.08 inches of plywood board. The company claims that this makes the walls of its wooden kennel 150 percent thicker than those of numerous competitors.
- Easy to Clean and Maintain – One of the most appealing features of this dog house is the removable floor. You can easily reach inside to clean it by removing it. This is also useful if you have pests inside and need to get rid of them.
- The Pets Imperial Extra Large Insulated Wooden Dog House also has plastic cap feet, a unique feature. To avoid rot, the producer selected plastic over wood. But what’s truly remarkable is that the legs can be adjusted to make the home level on any surface. So if you have a hilly yard, this is a fantastic option.
- The Wood is a Little Soft – The material used in this dog house is the major flaw. The wood is quite soft, even though it is an attractive house. So, it won’t be difficult for him to demolish it quickly if you have a destructive dog. If your dog, on the other hand, isn’t a chewer, it might be helpful.
2. Petsfit Outdoor Dog House
The Petsfit Dog House is a well-made and appealing sizable wooden dog house with various helpful design features. And, unlike many other wooden dog houses, the Petsfit Dog House comes with pre-drilled screw holes, making assembly a breeze. The Petsfit Dog House is a high-quality item that is inexpensive for the value it gives. The cedar planks used in the house’s construction should keep bugs out and prevent moisture damage, as well as looking fantastic. Even in adverse weather, the combination of the provided door flap and raised floor should keep your pet comfortable and dry. Even though this huge dog house is only suggested for dogs up to 75 pounds, it is significantly larger than some other dog houses certified for even larger dogs.
- The roof may be opened to allow simple access to the interior or to clean it.
- For added warmth, an inside insulation kit is available as an option.
- For added convenience, a door flap is available as an option.
- Light Grey, Red, and Yellow are the three colors available.
- For dogs weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Need for an additional insulation kit
3. Duplex Wood Dog House for Extra Large Dogs
The dog home is made of wood and has a wide interior that can accommodate two large or one extra-large dog. Internally, it measures 73W x 39D x 42H inches to provide a functional living space. The Duplex dog house has a retractable divider that allows it to accommodate more than one dog. The strong wood dog house bed keeps the weather out and allows your dog to enjoy every moment. It’s a one-of-a-kind dog home that keeps your dog off the ground and allows them to sleep soundly on the wood bed. The roof and beds of this product are both removable, which is an extremely significant feature. You can take the roof and bed off to make cleaning a breeze. It’s uncommon to come across a dog house with extra-large dog characteristics.The dog house is quite simple to put together.
- Extra-large dogs will love it.
- Constructed of solid wood
- Suitable for dogs weighing up to 110 pounds.
- Interior with plenty of space
- The roof that can be removed and bedding
- Simple to put together
- The dog house is not waterproof
4. Extra Large Solid Wood Dog Houses by Merry Products
This extra-large wooden dog house has two doors and a barrier to provide two distinct living places for two large dogs to live peacefully in. The divider may be removed, resulting in an extra-large living area ideal for your Great Pyrenees. This dog house has two holes that allow your Pyr to stretch out while still seeing outside. Several qualities make this an excellent choice for your Pyrenees adventure. First, this house is simple to put together from a practical aspect. If you have a companion to help you hold the components in place, construction may be more accessible. The roof lifts for easy cleaning after assembly, and the flooring is also removable for cleaning. Two free vinyl dog doors are included with each house.
- Two large dogs or one huge dog, such as a Great Pyrenees, can be accommodated.
- Your dog is protected from the weather by the slanted roof and plastic dog doors.
- The wood construction and plastic door coverings enable good airflow, which keeps your Pyrenees cool.
- In warm or mild climates, the Pyrenees are ideal.
- Because this doghouse isn’t weather-resistant, you’ll need to apply a coat of stain or a weather-resistant treatment to ensure it lasts for years.
5. Trixie Classic Outdoor Wooden Dog House
If your dog is under 95 pounds, the Trixie Dog House, another of our favorite wooden dog houses, is a good option. Glazed wood, metal, plastic, and composite asphalt shingles on the roof were utilized in the building. Water is less likely to permeate the interior because of the tongue-and-groove design.
- This house has a huge, tall door that is easy to get in and out of, making it excellent for dogs who have trouble with smaller or lower openings. Furthermore, the roof design directs most precipitation away from the door and toward the back of the dog home.
- Removable Floor – You may clean the inside of the house and get rid of pests by removing the floor.
- Thin Wood – Unfortunately, as is the case with many wooden dog shelters, the wood utilized for this product is thin and weak. This indicates that it may be prone to breaking or being damaged by your dog.